Sunday, March 7, 2010

First Karate Lesson

Talk about stress with the weather. The rain held out long enough for my engagement session yesterday afternoon. It started sprinkling after we were done and then it started to pour an hour and a half later after we were done! What timing!

The weather forecast called for rain this morning. I was actually scheduled to teach a lesson in Karate/Self-Defense to a
meetup group at 10am this morning. Who knows when the rain had actually stopped raining this morning if it did at all, but the sky was semi-clear by the time the Karate lesson started! There were eight people (including myself) from the meetup group, who rsvp'd yes, and only there were only three of us that actually showed up. The weather had scared everyone else away. I was actually more relieved that I only had two students instead of seven. I volunteered my time to teach and while I was nervous, it was a good experience for me.

I have to get out of my comfort zone to "grow up". I'm used to my own Karate people where I'm just a black belt student and I don't have to teach anything in my own Karate training. Sometimes, I lead a class for my instructor, but most of the students there already know what they are doing and I don't have to teach them anything new.

I'm not the organizer or assistant organizer of the meetup group, but the organizer is letting me teach another lesson for the group. The weather will be better next time, and I will have more people showing up. I think by voluntering my time to teach people on a regular basis, will help me build my confidence. I don't know if I will ever go into paid teaching, but at least, I won't balk and run away at the idea of actually teaching (paid or volunteer) anything to anyone in the future. I also think that by teaching people will help me become a better photographer. How? I'll be forced to talk, direct people, and be/get creative. Photography people/clients need feedback and directions (on how to pose, etc) too.

Day 20 of
365 Project:


My first two students at my first time ever teaching my own Karate lesson

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your first class! I couldn't join you this time, but I hope to come to your class in the near future.

    ReplyDelete