Sunday, August 1, 2010

Second Karate Lesson

I taught a self-defense lesson this morning to a small group of women from the O.C. 20 to 30 Something's Women meetup group at Kramer Park in Placentia, CA. This was the second time that I taught self-defense to this group or to anyone outside the group. While I am trained in traditional martial arts, the lesson today was geared towards actual self-defense. While I also don't have any real teaching experience, the people who attended, said that it was very informative and we had fun.

While I still do attend training/practices at the YMCA, I'm very familiar with the people there and I am ok with leading the classes with people that I have already known for a long time. I realize that I need to get out of my comfort zone and teach new people who do not attend classes at the YMCA, whether they are friends or strangers.

Also, I think by teaching self-defense to people outside of my YMCA classes, it also helps me become a better photographer. How, you ask? Because I am forced to talk/direct people and get creative. Afterall, photography clients and models need feedback and can appreciate creative poses/ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment