Wednesday, March 31, 2010

35mm Film SLR Camera

I recently got a 35mm film SLR camera - Canon EOS 750 - from a friend. This camera is very old school and came out in the late 1980's, but was only on the market for a short period (two years). This camera will only be used strictly for fun like landscapes/nature and totally random stuff because manual mode is not an option with this camera. At least, I can change the lens, however, my friend didn't have any other lenses to go with it and I doubt the newer ones are compatible with it. I really doubt I will ever use this camera for a paid photo session with a client...I don't think I would even use this camera for a tfp/unpaid shoot either. I don't want to be wasting money on a roll of film if 95% of the photos come out really crappy/bad/terrible when used for a paid/unpaid photo shoot. I'd like to have more than one good photo for both parties (me and the person being photographed). Even if I was an excellent/awesome/great photographer, I would still want to shoot in full manual mode because I need to be in control with how the photos come out in the end results. I also think that I would only use this camera to take outdoor photos. Since manual mode is not an option, I'm too scared of what the photos will look when the camera is used indoors. I don't want the photos to come out blurry or dark without the flash or be overexposed/too bright with the flash.

The last time I had a 35mm film camera (not an SLR...it didn't even have a zoom option) was six or seven years ago. At the time, I really didn't know how to take photos at all and I didn't know what I was doing. So now that I have a better idea how to take decent/good/nice photos and I'm better than last year, I'm very curious what kind of photographer I am with a film camera and whether I can take a decent photo now with it.

After I stopped using film cameras, I "upgraded" to a digital point and shoot camera. I used this for five years before I "upgraded" to a DSLR camera. When I was using the P&S camera, I thought I was good. I really wasn't. Now when I look back on my photos that were taken by the P&S camera, I have the following facial expressions: Those photos were ok to look at for anyone who just wanted to get a general idea of my surroundings, but definitely not what you call good or nice. I'm pretty sure my photos from when I was using a film camera weren't any better, but my "so-called" talent at the time is so far from where I am at now. My style/preference has also changed in the past year. I still have much to learn, but I've learned so much from fellow photographers and I think I am better than a year ago.


So anyway, I just want to have some fun with a film camera.

Day 44 of
365 Project:

No comments:

Post a Comment